500 g chicken thighs, skinless, boneless
1/4 cup vegetable oil (e.g., sunflower, canola, safflower)
1 medium-sized onion, chopped finely
3 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
1-inch slice of ginger, chopped finely
1 tsp (5 mL) salt
1 tsp (5 mL) cayenne pepper
1 tsp (5 mL) ground coriander
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
2 x 400 g can of diced tomatoes
100 g whole cherry tomatoes
3/4 cup (180 mL) cup natural yogurt
garnish with fresh coriander
- Preheat oven to 170C.
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. When the oil is sizzling, add the onion. Saute until translucent and golden.
- Add the ginger and garlic, and cook for about 1 minute.
- Using a wooden spoon push the onions, garlic and ginger to the sides of the pan. Add an extra tablespoon of oil in the center of the pan and let it heat up, then add the spices directly on top of the oil. Cook spices for 30-40 seconds until they become fragrant (be careful not to burn them). Stir to combine spices with other ingredients. If things start sticking to the bottom of the pan at this point, add a bit of water and keep stirring
- Add the chicken thighs. Sear on both sides, but do not cook through.
- Add the canned and cherry tomatoes. Mix to combine everything. Nestle the chicken thighs into the sauce to ensure they are covered in liquid. If you need more juice, add a bit of water.
- Place a lid on the dutch oven, and transfer to the oven to cook at 170C for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven, stir in the yogurt.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro (coriander) and serve with rice or naan bread