Courgette Tofu Kebabs
2–3 medium courgettes, sliced thinly lengthways into 12 slices
For the marinade:
2 tbsp toasted coriander seeds
1 tbsp toasted cumin seeds
4 cloves garlic, peeled
4cm piece ginger, roughly chopped
2 red chillies, deseeded and roughly chopped
freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp sundried tomato purée
3 tbsp white wine vinegar
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp water
- Drain the tofu well and cut into 12 large cubes.
- To make the marinade, begin by grinding the coriander and cumin seeds to a powder.
- Next, pound the garlic, ginger and chillies with a couple of big pinches of pepper, to a rough paste in a mortar. Now work in the coriander and cumin, tomato purée, vinegar, and olive oil, then mix in 2 tbsp water.
- Add the tofu to the marinade and mix gently, cover and set aside for a minimum of an hour, preferably 3–4 hours or longer. Microwave the courgette slices in two batches, covered in clingfilm, for about 60–80 seconds, until just tender enough to wrap around a piece of tofu but not so soft that they collapse. Alternatively, blanch in boiling water for 30 seconds or so and drain well.
- Shortly before cooking, wrap strips of courgette around the cubes of tofu and slide onto skewers, so that the courgette stays in place.
- Brush the courgette with any marinade left in the bowl, and grill or barbecue for 10-15 minutes, turning regularly.