Minestrone Soup Made Easy
2 tsp (10 mL) butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
900 mL low sodium or regular chicken broth
28 oz (796 ml) diced tomatoes, canned
19 oz (540 ml) white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups (500 ml) bite-size cauliflower florets, about ⅓ head
2 cups (500 ml) carrots, thinly sliced
1 zucchini, sliced into half moons
1/4 lb (125 g) halved yellow beans, about 1 large handful
2 tsp (10 ml) dried Italian seasoning
1/2 cup (125 ml) your favourite small pasta
2 tbsp (30 ml) all-purpose flour
2 cups (500 ml) milk
4 cups (142 g) swiss chard or spinach
Freshly ground pepper
1/2 tsp (2mL) salt (optional)
Grated Parmesan, optional
1. Melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until tender, about 3 min.
2. Stir in broth, tomatoes, kidney beans, cauliflower, carrots, zucchini, beans and Italian seasoning. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer covered 10 min.
3. Add pasta. Cover and simmer 10 min longer or until pasta is tender.
4. In large measuring cup, whisk flour into milk. Gradually whisk into soup. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture boils.
5. Stir in kale and pepper; gently boil 2 min. Taste and add salt if needed.
Serve sprinkled with Parmesan. If soup is too thick the next day, thin with broth or water.
Recipe provided by Dairy Farmers of Canada.