Easy Carrot and Tuna Gratin
(one dish meal, gluten free, good source of fibre, contains dairy)
This oven baked carrot gratin with tuna is wonderfully comforting and delicious. My husband often makes this recipe when it's his turn to cook dinner. Growing up in France, this is a dish his mom often made and he loved it. As with any proper French recipe, there are both wine and cheese involved-what's not to love?
Caramelized onions are slowly sautéed with carrots in white wine. This brings out a wonderful sweetness in the veg that pairs beautifully with the salty bite from the tuna. It's all topped with cheese then baked to form a gorgeous golden crust.
Hello, I’m Keely! I'm a Canadian Registered Dietitian, an avid food and recipe writer, travel bug and nutrition expert. For more information about me, check out my bio here.
HERE IS WHAT YOU WILL NEED
- Canned tuna- I used one can packed in water, the other in olive oil. Drain both before adding to the recipe.
- Cheese- I used gouda for this recipe, but mozzarella or gruyere would also work well. Sometimes I use a mix and combine mozzarella and gouda, but I am crazy that way!
- White wine- I recommend using a dry white wine for this recipe such as Pino Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc.
- Canned tomatoes- Canned tomatoes are great for cooking but tend to be really high in sodium, so look for a low sodium variety.
- Carrots- I used organic carrots from my weekly farm basket. I grated them in my food processor, but a hand grater works just as well.